Tuesday, April 26, 2011

reciprocity

I have experienced generalized reciprocity in my life both in China and in America many times. Reciprocity is a form of exchange where you exchange goods basically based on the welfare of people. Generalized reciprocity is a wide range of excange involving goods and services between relatively equal individuals or groups. Such as exchanging good between friends. Because of the close relationship between good friends, exchange gifts between them doesn't matter if friends return the gifts in time or not. It's like my friend gave me an expensive necklace for my birthday, although I appreciate it very much and want to return it as soon as I can in order to tell her that I like her too and would like to keep the relationship, but I don't need to give her the gift back right away, instead, I can wait a year after until it's her birthday and I can return it to her that time. ---Above is what I like to say about generalized reciprocity.
Next, is balanced reciprocity. Balanced reciprocity is used further along our gift fibing spectrum. the type of exchange takes palce =between more distant people , between people who are not really friends but are friendly towards each other. For example, my mother cooked a huge chinese meal for her neighbor, Randy. Randy, in order to return the fabor, has to cook a huge American meal for us. And quick, too, in order to remain the gift exchange system asnd remain the relationships.
Last, is negative reciprocity. In which the parties exchanging gifts are enemies of each other and usually do the gift exchange through stealing and plundering. In this case, no one is benefiting from the relationships and both parties are harmed through the exchange.

No comments: