Thursday, April 21, 2011

cultural differences between the east and the west

I feel like that there is a big cultural differences between the east and west in US and in China. I have only been to North Carolina before but I knew in China, while I was in Nanjing, the people have very different views than from in the west even from people in Beijing. There are physical, educational, food, applications for schools, music, weather, art and trees differences. In Nanjing, people look shorter, have nicer skin because of the humid weather, have smaller jaw bones. In Beijing, people's jaw bones tend to stick out more, taller, and generally a little heavier than people in Nanjing. Well of course not all of the people, just what I felt, the people I saw when I was in those two places. In Beijing, people tend to eat more wheat based food since there are not many vegetables and fruits. In Nanjing, there are fresh vegetables and fruits all year around so there is a variety of things you can look at. The weather in Nanjing are mostly humid, rainy and there are a lot of trees. The weather in Beijing is sandy, dry and there are not a lot of trees. Not as severe as in Laramie though.
I feel like same with the West East differences in China, there are West East differences in the US too. We can tell from the four field of anthropology--biological anthropology, archeology, cultural anthropology etc. But in general I feel like the East, in the city, people don't really greed strangers. Same as when I was in Nanjing they don't greed strangers out in the city because newpaper articles report so many bad things everyday that happens. As I have been living in the West for almost long enough to know it's culture now, I feel like people in the West have less ambitions than people in the East. And they have a less polluted heart also, not so many mistrusts and complicated dramas I guess. Good hearted hard working cowboys just want to be nice to you most of the time: my neighbor's boy K got into Harvard and all the Ivy League schools but he doesn't even want to go! He just wants to be with his brother! Which, I found very shocking because if it happened to one of my friends in the East China, they would definitely go to the Ivy League schools instead to let that precious chance drift away!
Although most of the Ivy League schools cost a lot depends on your parents' income, I know people in big cities would sitll like, give up everythingk, sell their house or something to go.
I guess the cultural differences between the east and the west and between china and us are so great that i still don't comprehend them all.

No comments: