Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Endangered languages



Today I found an article that discussed a number of languages that are endangered. The Guardian reported that the two last fluent speakers of the language Ayapaneco are not speaking to each other. I personally have never heard of this language but found it fascinating on how many languages there are in this world, which we know little to nothing about.

After doing a little research, I found out from Wikipedia that Ayapaneco is one of 68 indigenous languages in Mexico. There are only two fluent speaking remaining and their names are Manuel Segovia, 75 and Isidro Valazquez, 69.

After reading this article I realized just how important language is. Regardless of what the language is being spoken, it brings people together. I feel like as a student I do not know just how many languages there are to learn. This article has sparked my interest and makes me want to learn more about the world around me.

No comments: