Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Matrilineal/ Patrilieneal

As we studied the differences between matrilineal and patrilineal I noticed that my family has traits of both. We generally spend holidays with my moms side, but we have many other members on my dads side that we keep close contact with. We have a lot of family reunions, and a lot of different family gatherings. Matrilineal I think is more common in most families. Mothers have a lot of say in families. Especially when it comes to finances. Generally, they have the control of budget, and say in how the home account is spent. Of course that is not in all families, there are some where it is more patrilineal and the income is generally revenued from the father figure. I think that happens in many traditional families.
Income can be contoled from either side, but a lot of family functions are blended together. Many of us are close to both sides of grandparent, aunts, uncles, and cousins. I think this depends on the relationship that our parents have with their families. Rather then how it is with some countries, we are more dependent on relationships in America. I think America is rather un traditional in their thinking. We are rather dependent on opinion then anything else. Some countries are so opressed that they have no choice on who they spend their time with. In a matrilineal situation they are required to live with the mothers side of the family. I think this would be extremely diffucult if they didn't get along with the mothers side. I feel like when socities put such a strict standard on their citizens they cannot make choices for themselves. Tradition is important, its the backbone of many peoples morals and thoughts. It can be both good and detrimental in the same kind of light.

No comments: