Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Ethnocentrism

Ethnocentrism can be defined as the view that one's own ethnic or cultural groups is centrally important, and that all other groups are measured in relation to that particular group. As I continue to research various topics in cultural anthropology, I find myself falling victim to an ethnoceric point of view. My previous topics, including Rwandan marriage, polygamy, female genital modification, etc. all have drawn or inferred comparisons to the culture I know. That of a middle class American white man.
I find myself wondering, is this okay? After all, this is my frame of reference, and the only one I have, so if comparisons are to be drawn, they must be with what I know, how I think, and who I am. Attempting to remove this bias, even though I am aware of it, is difficult to say the least.
I wonder about anthropologists as a whole, spread to the four corners of the Earth, and contemplate how they "cleared the slate" so to speak, to try and gain a perspective other than the one they have always known.
Ethnographic field work, attempts at both cultural relatavism and functionalism, as well as other methods have been employed to try and limit the influence of Ethnocentrism, especially and particularly in studies "in the field."
Those these attempts are noble, and may provide for a slightly less biased perspective, this author wonders if we, as researchers, as scientists, as anthropologists, or even as people, can ever truley get away from our inherent tendency to incorporate our perspective, our cultural and societal norms, and the lives we have lived.

No comments: