Sunday, May 1, 2011

American's perspective versus Genuine Islam

Two weeks ago was Islam recognition week at UW. I went to lecture by one of the guest speakers of the week. I learned that the perception that many Americans of have a distorted view of Muslims. For example,many think Christians and Muslims are close to opposites. /however, there are many similarities. one key one of which is Jesus is a key figure in both of them. They also believe in Mary's conception as a virgin. They also believe in an anti-christ at the end of the world as a great persecutor, and Jesus is the one who will save us. They consider Jesus as their future savior. I would have to say that the major difference that I observed I observed is that Islam does not acknowledge that Jesus died and thus he did not die or rise from the dead like Christianity.In addition to this, I learned that Muslims are not an aggressive extremist group like many people think, confusing them with the Islamic Fundamentalists, like Al Qaeda. Islam is a greatly misunderstood religion because of these groups.

No comments: