Tuesday, May 3, 2011

German School System

The German schooling system is much different than the American schooling system. From research on the internet to what I have learned in my German classes, I have a brief understanding on how it works. A lot like the American schooling system, children are required to attend a public school. What differs is at the age of 10 students go through a testing period that decides what track they on to next. A few years later they have another testing that puts them on a new track. Eventually this leads to their profession.

I like how this system is set up. It seems very efficient. It seems like less pointless classes are taken and the students are more interested in the topics. I do enjoy taking a few classes outside my major, it is a great break, but in my opinion it is a waste of my time and tuition. I think that you should receive as much training in you field of study as possible. When I graduate and I’m looking for a job, I think it is more important to know how to design a safe bridge and understand basic engineering terms than to know some random facts about Greek theater. And vice versa, when a theatre major is looking for a job, it is more important to know the different styles of theatre than how to derive a calculus equation. I think the Germans have this right and are educating their youth in an efficient and interesting way.

No comments: