Monday, September 27, 2010

Dad is Mom?

In this article it talks about how the modern views on each role of parenting is currently changing. It was cool to read this writers views on the subject compared to the views of the traditional family that were shared in class the other day. http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/08/20/p.meet.modern.dad/index.html?iref=allsearch.
Here is another article about the Afghanistan view on children. particulary about how boys are more cherished than girls. The family will sometimes dress up the girls as boys because of social pressures to have a boy in the family.  Definatly alot different than my own upbringing.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/world/asia/21gender.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=Boys%20liked%20more%20than%20girls&st=cse

1 comment:

kstone4 said...

This is for the stay at home dad article.
This article was very enjoyable for me to read and really made me think. My dad was probably half the guy in the recliner and half the involved dad. Some days he would hang out with us, and other times he would go in the other room by himself and watch television all night. This fact never bothered me; it was just the way things went. It wasn’t until I was older that I really thought about it. I also think now that I’m in college he is more involved in my life. Strangely enough I’ve received more phone calls from my dad than my mom.
I liked what Shawn said about the father being in the delivery room and how that is linked with more involvement with the child later on in life. I have no idea whether or not my father was in the delivery room or not. It’s something I would like to ask about.
I love the fact that dads are starting to be stay at home dads and it was interesting to read about the moms that are jealous of this. As I was reading this article it occurred to me that this might be how men feel about women doing “men’s jobs”. As Shawn said, more and more women are joining the work force. I know plenty of men that feel threatened by a strong woman in the office, which is exactly how Shawn was saying some women feel about men staying home with the kids. Shawn said that a lot of women reported lower self esteem with stay at home dads. I can completely sympathize with this. I mean, moms compete with other moms to see who the better mother is. Adding men to the equation just adds more competition.
Personally I like to see a guy spending time with his kids. I do not feel threatened at all by the idea of a stay at home dad.