Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Deaf Community

In class when we talked about Gallaudet University, it really hit home for me for two reasons. First I have a buddy I played little league football with who plays football for Gallaudet. It was interesting to learn about Gallaudet. I originally thought it was just a division 3 football school but it turns out it is a prestigious university. It was fun to learn the history and struggles of the university. Now I will have a few talking points next time I see Shelby.

The second reason doesn’t have much to do with Gallaudet but more of the fact of the deaf community. My girlfriend’s mom and aunt are both deaf and my girlfriends hearing is on the decline. She has pretty much accepted the fact the in a few years she will be deaf. Alex’s aunts hearing is the worst out of the three of them. She has had many surgeries to try to delay the process but so far no luck. Even with these failed attempts her aunt is still very proactive in the deaf community. A couple times a year she volunteers as a deaf camp staff member to assist children going deaf.

Before taking this class I never thought about the deaf community twice but now I realize how interconnected I am with it.

No comments: